offers you 3 fully equipped self-catering lodges in a
beautiful, unspoilt wild setting, on the Palala River
deep inside the Waterberg mountain wilderness with a
diversity of game including rhino, leopard, hippo and
self-catering units are all equipped with crockery,
cutlery, 2 ring stove, microwave, kettle and toaster.
All you need to bring is your food and drinks, and
River Cottage, is an isolated cottage set in a beautiful
spot, often visited by our resident rhino, and is right
next to the Palala river. Perfect for a couple, the
cottage sleeps two people (fixed double bed) with
It has a bathroom with bath and shower, lounge with
fireplace and fully kitted kitchen. Towels and firewood
Escape to the wilds. The three Podica chalets are
situated together in a quiet spot next to the Palala
River are fully equipped, en-suite thatched rondavels.
The chalets have an open plan living area with bed(s),
table and kitchenette. Each has a separate bathroom with
bath, and an outside shower.
Relax in a hammock, walk, enjoy game viewing or watching
the abundant bird life and cool off under your private
Each chalet is slightly different:
Podica 1; has a double bed
Podica 2; has a double bed and twin beds, in the same
Podica 3; has a double bed and fold down sofa bed which
sleeps one, or two children, in the same room.
Each chalet has its own individual braai area, and there
is use of a swimming pool within 5 minutes walk. Towels
and firewood are provided.
Kingfisher Cottage sleeps a maximum of 10 people in 3
twin rooms and 2 double rooms. Ideal for small groups or
families. Sit on the veranda with wide views across the
Palala river to the far hills.
The cottage has a comfortable living area with a
fireplace place and dining table. There is also a
swimming pool for your enjoyment, a braai and it is
How to get there
From Johannesburg International Airport
* Take R21 to Pretoria for about 20 minutes
* Take the N1 highway North towards Pietersburg /
* Turn off at the Kranskop toll gate (third toll gate)
* Go through Nylstroom/Modimolle to Vaalwater (± 60km).
* In Vaalwater turn right at the stop street towards
Melkriver (there is only one stop street in Vaalwater).
* Go ± 42 km and turn left onto a gravel road marked
* After 6km turn right (there is an old Cape Dutch farm
house on the right hand side) and pass the Rhino Museum.
* From the Rhino Museum drive 3.3km, the main entrance
to Jembisa Lodge will be on your right.
* Continue past the main entrance to Jembisa.
* After 1km the road bends to the left.
* At the bottom of the hill, the Kingfisher gate will be
on your right. Kingfisher entrance is before the Palala
* continue past the main entrance to Jembisa.
* After 1km the road bends to the left, go over the
Palala River Bridge and through the electric gate.
* Drive another 1km and keep to the right of the fork
and follow the Podica signs.
* Do not take the Lapalala turn, but stay on the
Melkrivier Road from Vaalwater until you reach a
* Turn left at the T, and approximately 2 kms on the
left hand side you will see a farm gate.
* This is just before you cross the Palala River.
Someone will greet you at the gate.